'wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking. we're all wanderers in life.' -spanish poet, antonio machado

Saturday, February 21, 2009

random blog post of the week: the art of travel



Mastering the art of travel is not accomplished with practice or talent. No school will give you a bachelor’s degree in not getting shot while backpacking through Eastern Africa. Or avoiding Montezuma’s revenge on your trek through Mexico.

It’s a way of life.

Unknown to the majority, it is almost impossible to convey to your friends back home over the course of a single conversation. It’s more of a feeling. It’s the excitement I experience the night before a trip…

The high that comes from booking a one-way train ticket to a place I’ve never heard of…

It’s the little things that so often go unnoticed.

I used to think back to my wedding day and wonder, ‘how did I get here? why me?’

And I remember all that I’ve seen and done…

the friends I’ve made…

the countries I’ve called home…

and all of the bugs I've eaten by accident.

p.s. I grabbed this from the lil'-known indie film, "Art of Travel" - perhaps it's the state of mind I was in when I was watching it, but it stirred something up in me. It reminded me why I love to travel...it's the experience of it all that energizes me...the people you run into, the crazy things that happen. It's about letting go of any apprehensions or worry and just observing and taking it all in. I adore it.

It's a subtle reminder of the true reason I took this leap...to experience. And, so I must not forget this as I trudge forward in this new environment. Especially when I am doubting myself or feeling unsure about my newfound expat life.

p.s.s. "give me a reason to smile, because i think i forgot how...i want to fall asleep with you tonight...i want to know that i am safe when you hold me tight...i want to feel how i want to feel forever. girls need attention and boys need us, so let's make everybody glad" (from a meiko song i discovered this week, called "reasons to love you" that i now loooove!)

No comments:

Post a Comment