'wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking. we're all wanderers in life.' -spanish poet, antonio machado

Friday, December 4, 2009

celebrity sightings galore!

Well, guys - remember my post the other day about St. Mikulas Day? The big day is tomorrow, so I was bummed I wasn't going to get the opportunity to see these guys in action. However, I took a lil' trip to the post office today and to my surprise I had a celebrity sighting...St. Mikulas and his sidekicks (angel and devil).

I can honestly say the children were genuinely terrified of this devil...as was I. I was just standing there in awe of the spectacle...definitely didn't expect it. In the States kids cry at the sight of Santa...imagine what they do when they see a scary devil with a pitch fork, deep black face and red hair. Well, I don't have to imagine - because I saw (or heard) it. Ha! Whoa! I mean, the child was screaming in terror...the look on his face was utter fear. I know it is a tradition, but an interesting and telling tradition nonetheless. I guess very much like our crazy Halloween traditions.

Tonight on my way to the bus station (destination: Switzerland), I'm going to go through Old Town. With my luck, I'll get stopped by the devil and he'll put me in a sack and carry me away to Hell (seriously, that's the legend!).


Happy St. Mikulas Day!

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment